Grade 7 boys dressed and ready for the assembly.
What a fabulous day for our grade 7s. The Farewell Assembly brought tears to the eyes of many. All of the students looked and acted like the young adults they have become.
It is difficult to say good bye to my sevens after two inspiring years. These kids have pushed me to think in new ways and have inspired me to be a better educator. I will miss them dearly and look forward to watching their growth and progress over the next few years.
Tomorrow will be our last day together. Start time is as usual but the students will be dismissed, with their report cards in hand, at 12:00. Summer vacation will officially begin.
Over the holidays I hope that all the students will read, read and read some more. I will be looking forward to hearing from the grade 6s what they have read.
Pancakes, hot dogs and a baseball game; does it get any better than that?! The grade 7s had their traditional pancake breakfast this morning cooked by the teachers. There was plenty of food to be had and everyone had their fill.
This afternoon the grade 7 students took on the teachers (and the honorary teachers - the grade 6s) for a friendly baseball game. I am sure that Mr. Austin's wipe out will be talked about for many years to come. I believe if I counted correctly the teachers won :)
Tomorrow is the Grade 7 Farewell Assembly. The students are excited to be finishing elementary and a bit apprehensive about moving on to high school.
In the morning the grade 7s are encouraged to come a little later than the normal bell time. This will alleviate the nervousness of being in the school as well as help with the traffic flow in the parking lot. Students should be arrive no later than 9:10.
As this is a very special day we ask that the students dress for the occasion. You do not need to run out and buy a new outfit but it is important to take pride in what is worn. We request that there not be any sweat pants/track pants and that if your child is wearing jeans they be coloured or of a darker wash. A nice clean shirt for the boys with clean runners would be great. This is the one day for the young ladies to wear spaghetti straps to school. I know that many of the girls have been talking about their outfits for quite some time and are excited to get dressed up for the day.
Grade 6s are welcome to attend the event. If they are not attending then we will find a classroom for them to help out in for the assembly.
I hope that the weather clears a bit for the grade 7s tomorrow so that we may enjoy some photo time outside. Let's keep our fingers crossed.
It was too bad that we needed to cancel the Sunnyside trip but it was a good thing we did. Wow, the rain came down hard at times today.
Students cleaned up their bins and the classroom; so nice to have the room free of dust. We are on count down now!
1) Grade 7 Pancake Breakfast: Please arrive at the regular time (8:40). If you come early you will not be allowed in the school. When the bell goes you will enter through our classroom door (outside) attendance will be taken and then you will be brought down to the gym.
2) Teachers versus Students Baseball game - Grade 6 and 7s are welcome to bring their baseball gear tomorrow as a game has been scheduled if the rain stops. The game will be the Grade 7s versus the teachers but the grade 6s who wish to play will be honorary teachers for the game.
3) School Supplies: Please bring an extra bag if you still need to bring supplies home. The grade 7s will be taking all their belongings home tomorrow.
4) Grade 7 Farewell Assembly for Wednesday: Grade 7s may arrive to school a little later than usual (9:00 ish) so the parking lot will not be quite so busy. Assembly will begin at 9:30.
Students linked their reflective animotos to their websites today so if you have not had a chance to see your child's work or would like to view others they are up and running.
Due to the weather we are unable to go to Sunnyside for our field trip today.
It was a crazy day for the grade 7s today as they were coming and going getting ready for high school. The one calm period of time was when Mayor Diane Watts came to talk to the students about what the city of Surrey does to help the community. She was very gracious and patient with all the questions the students had for her.
It is Fun Night tonight. Lots of activity around the school. Hopefully all our families will have a chance to come out and enjoy the festivities.
Parents Homework - Please sit down with your child and watch their Animoto on their Reflection of the past year or two years. Spend some time talking to them about the changes and what they are looking forward to in the future. Once you have done this I would like you to take a minute and hit the comment button for this post. Please share your thoughts about your children's reflection - their growth over the past year. I would love to hear from you and I know it would mean a lot for your child to see you comment on the website. Please remember to sign in as their pseudonym for example Bauer's mom, or Slapshot's dad rather than their real name.
2) Sunnyside on Monday - please bring any equipment you wish to use for activities on the day: baseball gloves, bats, balls, footballs, soccer balls, Frisbees, tennis racquet adn balls...... Also, pack a lunch.
Please be aware if the weather is like it was on Thursday with the torrential rains we most likely will have to cancel.
Grade 7 Parents, can you please send me an email with the number of family members who will be attending the ceremony on Wednesday.
What a wet day at Playland but that did not dampen the spirits of all the grade 7 students as they rode the coasters, spun on the swings, and ate mounds of cotton candy! This is always a wonderful way for the students to spend a final day with friends before heading off to high school.
Tomorrow is a big day at Hillcrest - Fun NIght. This has always been a huge hit for families and friends. I hear the rain is suppose to stop which will help to make this event even more successful.
1) Grade 7s - choose three adjectives that describe you. Bring these to class tomorrow for your banner for the ceremony next week.
- Grade 7 Legacy item - please think of a quote that is very meaningful to you, one that represents motivation, learning, or striving to be the best,... Please bring these quotes to school tomorrow and we will put them together with the other classes to decide which quote from this year's grade 7s will be painted on the wall of the entrance way. If you would like you can write your quote in the comments section of this post.
It will be a really hectic day tomorrow as we have the grade 7s making their way to either Lord Tweedsmuir or Clayton Heights. We also have Mayor Watts arriving in the morning to talk to the grade 6/7s. Finally, the grade 7 girls who will be attending CH will have a visit from grade 12 girls from the Drive program to share information about this wonderful opportunity for the future grade 8 girls.
Please make sure you have told a parent about when you will be volunteering for fun night. If you are able to help out at a later spot the PAC would greatly appreciate this.
Many Titans were celebrated today for their commitment to the extra curricular sports we have at Hillcrest in the Spirit Assembly this morning. It was so wonderful to look out at the benches of grade 7s and see that about 90% of the students participated in some way with out sports teams.
A few students had the opportunity to share their Animoto reflections today. It is amazing to see how far so many of them have come in their learning.
1) Socials - complete the mummification sheet by numbering the order of each sentence. Use the booklet as well as the internet if need be. Due Wednesday.
2) Animoto- complete and be prepared to show tomorrow.
3) Book Club - please return all novels ASAP
4) Grade 7s please bring a hat and sunglasses tomorrow for pictures (grade 7 assembly)
Volunteers needed with our grade 6 and 7s - Fun NIght is in desperate need of our students on Fun Night. Historically our upper intermediate students volunteered one hour of their time to run a game at some point during fun night. As the PAC has been such amazing support for what has taken place in this school from field trips, to supplying money for classroom events, to technology, to playground equipment and the list goes on. One way that the students can give back is by volunteering an hour of their night. Please sign up for your spot tomorrow.
The blue team got in the spirit on Friday.
Friday was our wettest sports day on record. But even through the rain it was great to see so much spirit and so many smiles.
This week is filled with activities so it is important to keep up with assignments and expectations.
1) Socials - timeline, map and Gift of the Nile assignment all due Tuesday.
2) Animoto on reflections of your year(s) - due Wednesday. Some are ready to show on Tuesday so we will allow those who are ready to share which may help spur on ideas for others in the class.
Important Upcoming Dates for this week:
Tuesday - Spirit Assembly, and may walk to see a play at Clayton Heights (TBA)
Thursday - Grade 7s at Playland, grade 6s with Mr. Lewis, Mrs. Jensen, Ms Waddell, and others.
Friday - Grade 12 students from Drive program (CH) to talk with the grade 7 girls who are heading to CH in the fall; Tweedsmuir grade 7s go for tour at 9:30.; Mayor Diane Watts talking to grade 6/7s from 10 - 10:30; Clayton Heights Grade 7s Scavenger Hunt in the afternoon; Fun Night 4 - 8. Whew, what a day.
In preparation for the Space themed Sports Day tomorrow staff and students dressed up in their space attire. It was great to see a few of the students in Division One put in some effort to create a costume. Even the teachers got involved.
Students began to work on their Reflection Animotos today. This is a project that will be wonderful for all the students to be able to hold on to over the years and look back on with great memories.
1) Animoto - over the next three days spend some time developing a true reflection of your growth as a person and as a learner. Take time to be creative with your photo choice and the wording you use. Tell a story of your journey for the past year or two years.
Sports Day Tomorrow
Dress up in your team colors and be ready to have a blast. Please check the school district website in case of cancellation due to rain. Reminder that it will be early dismissal (1:39) and that lunch will be served at 11:30. Grade 7s please remember to arrive early to help out your assigned teacher set up for the stations.
The Titan family is revving up for Sports Day this coming Friday. Today the teams practised their cheers and the intermediates had a chance to try out the rotation of the activities.
Tomorrow is Space dress up day so wear your costumes: aliens, Star Wars characters, Men In Black, Ghost Busters - be creative and have fun as it is the last dress up day for the year.
1) Animoto Reflection - complete your list of areas of growth. Aim for 5 or 6 points per section (personal and learning growth). Also begin to look for images that might be great representations of your changes of who you have become.
2) Grade 7s - Playland notice
Dress up day tomorrow - Space Day
I am a grade 7 teacher who has been teaching in the Surrey School District for over 28 years. I love to read, garden, walk, and spend time with family, friends and my golden retriever Kona.
Copy Free Images
You can also use Google, just remember to set up your advanced settings to allow free or commercial use images only
Find Grampy Difficult
Batter's Up Baseball
Division without decimals
Math Antics - Percentages
Finding a Percent
Percent Word Problems
Percent of a Whole Number
Khan Academy - more on Percents
Parts of A Microscope
Wet Mount Microscopy
San Diego Zoo
Gorillas in Rwanda
Classification of Life
CNN for Kids
Time for Kids
Pencil Crayon Shading and Blending
Creativity Requires Time
Moon Shot Thinking
Obvious To You, Amazing To Others
A Pep Talk from Kid President
Follow our class on twitter @middletonsclass