Wow, hard to believe we have come to the end of September. So much has been accomplished in a few short weeks. Today we worked on publishing poems, made predictions on The One and Only Ivan, a book we will be reading with many other teachers world wide and finished the day by starting to paste on the images for our collages.
1) Complete your I Am poem on your word document. You need to make sure that there are no errors in spelling or that you have missing words. Please add images, borders, color to your hard copy (the one you have printed off).
2) Complete the I Am poem on the google doc that was shared with you today. Please copy your poem from the word doc and paste it in the google doc. Make sure you are on the correct page (the next number after your computer number. When completing this part make sure it is highly creative, eye catching, publishable to the world. Use color on your font, use creative font style, include a variety of images and think about how you can layer them to be more creative. Think outside the box.
3) On our reflection's page please answer the post I have published for you.
What a busy day but a very important one. We started the day with Ms Fjermestad leading us all on the Terry Fox run. Everyone participated enthusiastically as they all recognize the importance of the run and finding a cure for cancer. We ended the day with the Cops for Cancer tour riding in and sharing their message. Students were excited to meet the riders and collect the
1) Parent Meeting tonight in the gym 5 - 6
2) Complete your first on line journal entry. Create a new Blog called my journal (if you have not already done so). Click on New Post then type in your journal that you wrote in class yesterday. Before you hit the publish button, check for spelling, punctuation and grammar. Better yet, type this in a word document first and then cut and paste into your new blog post. When ready remember to click on Publish Live.
3) Bring collage pictures for tomorrow
4) Make sure your I am poem is at school for tomorrow.
5) Return kite notice
6) Bring in your hot lunch order
7) Band on Friday
Wow, another busy day for the students of Division 1. Band was in full swing this morning for some of our sevens; the halls were filled with the sounds of horns and reeds squeaking out their first notes. After lunch the grade 7s spent some time with adults from the YWCA learning about an excellent opportunity for an after school program. Before the end of the day the students activated their knowledge around gorillas as next week we will begin to participate in the Global Read Aloud. Finally, we began journalling as a way to express our thoughts around our lives. Writing non-stop for 15 minutes is the goal!
1) Complete journal if not done in class
2) Read yesterday's homework post and complete the reflective piece
3) Grade 7 Math- finish worksheet and pg.10 # 6-11
4) Return kite notice
5) Hot lunch forms went home today
6) Grade 7s in band - watch the DVD from your book
7) Terry Fox run tomorrow - wear your PE strip and bring a change of clothes
A reminder to all our parents that we will be having our meeting tomorrow night from 5 - 6. It is very important that we have one parent from each family attend.
Congrats to the entire group who climbed the Grouse Grind today. Your determination to make it to the top was amazing. It didn't matter the time it took, it was that you tried and succeeded. You should all be very proud of yourselves.
1) Tonight I want all of you to think about the hike - before you left, when you got to the mountain, the climb and making it to the top. Think about what you felt, what you saw, things you heard. You will be writing a piece tomorrow that will be the beginning of your journalling on line. The little details will be important to write an excellent piece.
2) In the comments for today please explain something from the day that was memorable for you.
3) Band tomorrow
4) Reminder to the parents of parent teacher night on Thursday 5:00 - 6:00.
5) Bring in the Terry Fox dedication shoe, and the kite notice.
Don't forget to be at the school before 8:30 Tuesday morning as we will be leaving at 8:30 to head to the mountain.
1) What to Bring - lunch and snacks
- water bottle x2
- proper footwear and clothing
- light rain jacket
Do the Grouse Grind survey.
2) Return all forms including the kite and Terry Fox shoes on Wednesday.
3) Band on Wednesday.
Monday is a professional day so students do not attend school. Tuesday we will be heading to Grouse Mountain to tackle the Grind. It is very important that you dress appropriately, wear good sturdy runners and bring lots of water. You will also need to remember a bag lunch. Be at the school early as we are leaving at 8:30. Parents, if you are driving please arrive before 8:30 to fill in a driver form for this year.
1) Reflection - if you did not complete your reflection on the team building activity, please do so this weekend. Read the post carefully and then take your time on your reply.
2) Math complete any assignments that your teachers gave out on Thursday. Due Wednesday.
3) Notices, notices, notices - many of these went home today. Please return early next week.
4) Work on your websites. We will be starting to use the websites for journal entry posts. If you want to share with the world something that has happened to you or something you have done with your family you are welcome to start on your own. Begin a new blog page, give it a name such as My On LIne Journal (you can be much more creative than that) and begin writing.
This morning the students began their day by doing a fun activity that relied on team work. They worked on ensuring all member participated, all were encouraged with positive words, and that they all stayed on task working with their own group for success. Many lessons were learned about the building of structures and assumptions that were made with the weight of a marshmellow. Even though only 2 groups of the 7 managed to be successful in creating a structure that was free standing, success well felt in the learning process.
1) Grouse Grind Notices - please return along with the money as school is not in session on Monday.
2) Respond thoughtfully to the post on the reflection page. If you are rushed tonight I would prefer you do this over the weekend as one or two sentences are not enough to fully explained your thoughts.
3) Bring pictures, magazines, hand drawn items for the collage as you will have lots of time to work on it tomorrow afternoon.
4) Math Grade 7s - pg 9/10 # 1 - 3 and 5
Today many of the students learned how to use Evernote on the ipads and discovered how much easier it was to document the learning through that app. We also created sections in our eportfolios to showcase the learning. Check out the Picasso art with the learning intention as well as what each child learned on their websites.
1) Parents - please sit with your child tonight and have them show you their website as well as have them take you through our class website. Please post a comment to this post (click on the comments word) sharing what you think about the websites or what you are amazed or most proud of regarding the learning of your child so far this year.
2) Math - grade 7s complete page 6 # 1- 7, 10, 11; grade 6s please see your assigned teacher's website.
3) Please return the Grouse Grind notices ASAP with the $10 for the gondola ride down.
4) If you have time tonight, work on your website. Begin to personalize it with your interests and passions.
5) Bring images, magazines, hand drawn pictures for your collage. We will not work on this on Thursday but will resume on Friday.
Improving our learning through peer assessment.
It was another very busy day in division 1. Our first PE period in the gym, posting our first tweet from our account @middletonsclass, and learning how to upload images to our Evernote accounts. Whew, my head is spinning so can only image how the students feel.
Important Change of Information
re: Parent Teacher Night
The meet the teacher night has been changed for the grade 6/7 students. The new night is Thursday, September 27 from 5:00 to 6:00. This is a very important meeting as it will be covering the expectations for the year as well as a full explanation of our philosophy of learning is and how technology plays a role. This is a parent meeting only, so the students can stay at home and do their homework!
1) Math - grade 7s study 9 times tables; grade 6s please check your teacher's website if you have been assigned homework.
2) Complete the Run Around the World Maps for Wednesday.
3) If you can, bring magazines as we will begin out collages tomorrow.
4) Start dragging photos from your home computer on to your Evernote. Start a new notebook called Animoto, then a new note and drag your photos on via the desktop.
Students, Please share with your parents
Parents: The grade 6/7 teachers, Division 1 - 5, have postponed their parent Meet the Teacher night for one week.The meeting will be held on Thursday, September 27 at 6:00. It is very important that each family has one representative at the meeting. The meeting will be for adults only as we wish to go over what will be happening in the coming 10 months with your child's learning especially in regards to technology and Assessment for Learning practises.
1) Language Arts - complete the first draft of your I Am poems in your Writing exercise books
2) Redo of Friday's homework - click on Reflection of Learning Tab. Read over what you needed to do to complete the homework. Please see the criteria to check whether you are doing your homework correctly. Put the effort in to ensure you are doing your very best work.
3) Math - grade 7 - study your 9 times tables
- grade 6 - Ms Findlay - worksheet
- Mr. Hong - worksheet and check website
4)Run Around The World Map - due on Wednesday **** change of date
5) Return all notices that were handed out last week if you have not already so.
I am a grade 7 teacher who has been teaching in the Surrey School District for over 27 years. I love to read, garden, walk, and spend time with family and friends.
Follow our class on twitter @middletonsclass
100 Word Challenge
Find Grampy Difficult
Batter's Up Baseball
Division without decimals
Multiplying Decimals 2
Finding a Percent
Percent Word Problems
Percent of a Whole Number
Khan Academy - more on Percents
Parts of A Microscope
Wet Mount Microscopy
San Diego Zoo
Gorillas in Rwanda
Classification of Life
CNN for Kids
Time for Kids
Pencil Crayon Shading and Blending
Creativity Requires Time
Moon Shot Thinking
Obvious To You, Amazing To Others
A Pep Talk from Kid President