Such a busy day today. The students needed some patience this morning as they tried to complete their I Am poems on line. Technology can be wonderful but it can also cause stress. I was impressed with those students who stuck it out during recess and lunch to get theirs completed. Way to take ownership Division 1!
Parents - the Grouse Grind has been rescheduled for this coming Thursday. We will need parent drivers to get there. A notice has come home with your child today so please have your child bring it back as soon as possible.
If you are a student and you read this say "happy Tuesday" quietly to me for a little prize :)
1) LA - I Am Poems on google presentation due Tuesday
- Quotation Worksheets tomorrow
2) Math - Grade 6s Mr. Hong - check website and do the questions
Mrs. Farrell - pg. 72 #1 - 5
Gr. 7 - Prime Numbers worksheet
3) Art - Dream Boards - due Wednesday, no more class time being given
4) Grouse Grind notice
If you have time check out the 100 WC page for the latest prompt.
The Grouse Grind has been rescheduled for this coming Thursday. Please bring back the notice ASAP for parent drivers.
Canucks Day on Wednesday - hockey season is upon us. Let's all wear our Canuck colors and cheer on our home team!
New 100 WC prompt has been uploaded. You can find this either on the class website under sharing our learning or by going to our kid blog site.
Have fun with your ideas!
It was quite a disappointment for many of the students (and their parents) today to have the Grouse Grind trip cancelled due to rain. Yesterday was such a beautiful day that I was hopeful it would carry over. Alas, this was not to be.
The students worked on publishing their I Am Poems on the Google Presentation file. Many are well on their way to completion. This will be a perfect assignment to work on over the weekend as we are expecting lots of rain.
The Dream Boards are starting to come together as well. Students have been putting in an amazing amount of effort choosing inspirational quotes and images. I have also watched a number of students be very creative with the presentation. The Dream Boards also can be worked on this weekend as the rain falls outside your windows.
1) LA - I Am Poems - please complete your poem on the google presentation
2) Math - if your math worksheet from Thursday was not completed please do so this weekend.
3) Art - Dream boards - only one more in class session will be given. You need to ensure most of your board is done (or a really good portion of it) so that you can work on the finishing details on Monday.
Response: The Strange Case of Origami Yoda has appeared to be a very light hearted book to read but in amongst all the laughter and humour are many lessons about human behaviour and how to live life. What lessons do you think the author is trying to teach us through this novel? Explain your thoughts. It is important that you take some time and thought before responding. A quick one line will not be acceptable. Read what your classmates have written especially the grade 7s. Their responses are more detailed, thoughtful and show that reflection and care have taken place as they respond. There are also too many mistakes with capitals, periods and spelling. Type your response first on a word document, use writer's mumble and then copy and paste into the comments section.
Video: Kid President Gives A Pep Talk
He reminds all of us what is important in life.
Sorry for the late post, everyone. Life just got in the way today. It was a fabulous morning for the students as the entire school participated in the Terry Fox run. Before we ran a short video was shared on Terry Fox and the history of his run. For so many students this gave them insight into the inspiration he was then and still is today.
1) Grouse Grind - bring lots of water, a bag lunch and dress in layers. Carry your belongings in a light backpack or bag that you can carry on your shoulders. Please arrive at school for the regular time.
2) Math - multiplication worksheet due Monday
3) Art - Dream Boards - work on these over the weekend
If you wish to post a comment for today that would be great. But due to the lateness of my publishing the site I will not be expecting this to happen. Instead, I will be posting a question for a response over the weekend.
Musical instruments galore! Very excited to see the students learning to breathe properly for using their instruments and hearing the first lovely sounds being blown.
Math, Language Arts and Art were all focusses for the day. Students looked at some showcase 100 Word Challenge pieces from week #3 and determined their learning intention for this week's writing. Using a variety of sentence lengths to create interest was the focus. Lots of improved pieces once revision occurred. I can't wait to read them when they are all completed.
1) LA - 100 Word Challenge - please type up and publish on Kidblog tonight.
2) Math - complete worksheet
3) Art - continue to work on Dream Boards - add detail, make creative, print off quotes and pictures
Meet the Teacher tonight - 6:00 to 6:30 in the gym. Adults only please.
Terry Fox run tomorrow - please come in your PE strip but bring a change of clothes!
Grouse Grind - Friday, September 27
What excitement at the end of the day today. It was realized that one member of our class, Parkbom, was chosen to be highlighted on the 100 Word Challenge website for her week 3 writing piece. This website is being read all around the world by students and teachers (as well as parents). A huge congratulations to her as this is quite an accomplishment. There were 665 students who published last week so to be chosen in the showcase piece is amazing. This is the link to her piece : Week #3 if you wish to read it. For all of the other Division 1 students' work please click here: MrsMiddletonsClass. It is very motivating to not only write for an audience but also to have your writing highlighted. Students are also receiving comments from others, specifically teachers, which will help them grow as writers.
1) LA - 100 Word Challenge - Write draft 1 tonight in your writing exercise books. To see the image and instructions for this week please go to the tab at the top of this page called Sharing Our Learning. Under that tab you will find the100WC section. Each week I will link the picture or phrase that our writing will be based on here. Have your piece ready for feedback and revision tomorrow.
2) Make a comment - it is expected that every day you will make a comment on the website regarding your learning of the day. Sometimes I will post a question for you to respond to but often times you will decide on your own what you wish to comment on. Today, it might be on your I Am poems: how you are doing, what you like/enjoy, what you find challenging. Maybe you want to share your ideas for this week's challenge. Maybe you want to share thoughts on a book you are reading. Maybe you want to share about something extraordinaty that occured today. Your choice but be thoughtful and know that many are reading our site so make it polished.
3) Notices - Grouse Grind, in - line skating, gmail letter
4) Photo Day tomorrow - do not wear green
Meet the Teacher - Wednesday, Sept. 25, 6:00 - 6:30 in the gym. Adults only
Photo Day - Wednesday, Sept. 25
Grouse Grind - Friday, September 27
There are a couple of changes I would like to inform you of with the website. As we have now begun to write and publish with the 100 word challenge program I have created a new page that everyone can go to to check out the latest prompts and blogs. The page is listed under the tab 'Sharing our learning'. Each week I will add to the posts as soon as the new prompts come out. They usually arrive in my mailbox late Saturday or early Sunday. I will post these as soon as I can allowing each of you to begin to create your piece for the week.
I will also link the current blog posts each of you have created and submitted for publishing. Remember to take the time to read other students' work as this will give you ideas and inspire new ways of thinking. Also, comment regularly on others' writing. We all like to know that our work is being read and appreciated.
It was wonderful to get a couple of our assignments wrapped up today. Students had a chance to log in to our new blog site, Kidblog for the first time today. Each student typed up and published their first 100 Word Challenge. I will be linking these tonight so check out the 100 Word Challenge site over the weekend to see if ours are up and ready for comments.
Students also worked to complete their I Am poems. Many had a chance to work with a peer using a criteria sheet to get feedback. One comment that I heard consistently last year was, "Can we get peer feedback please?" Students saw first hand the value in having a second set of eyes review their work. They also value the judgement of their peers.
1) LA - I Am poems completed and ready for typing on Tuesday
2) Math - 4 times tables
3) Art - Dream Boards - gather quotes and images and have ready to work with on a board for Tuesday.
4) Terry Fox shoe
5) Grade 6s - email me a quick hello from your new gmail account.
6) Think We applications are due on Tuesday for those who are wanting to join the team.
In line Skating
Grouse Grind - Friday, September 27
Meet the Teacher/Information Session (no students) - 6:00 to 6:30 in the gym
Terry Fox Run - Thursday, September 26
Division 1 is a community of learners that takes advantage of all our spaces in the class. It is always wonderful to see students making good choices about where they learn best. The love seat is a popular place where students can work independently or in collaborative groups as is evident in today's photo.
1) LA - complete typing the 100 Word Challenge piece. If you have gmail please share on google drive with me.
2) Math - Study the 4 times tables. Complete worksheet.
3) Check out our new kidblog site here. See if you can find your name and log in. Do not post anything yet, just practise accessing our site. Our kidblog address is kidblog.org/MrsMiddletonsclass-8.
3) Response: Last year our class went through a complete overhaul with the learning corner (love seat, bean bag chairs, etc.), tables brought in and more. If you could change the learning space of our classroom this year, what would you change? Last year our class was called the 'COOL' zone - Class of Outstanding Learners. With a new group of learners we need a new name to make it our own. What do you think a good name would be for our class this year?
Grouse Grind - Friday, September27
Meet the Teacher - Wednesday, September 25 6:00 to 6:30 in the gym
In Line skating begins September 30
Thesaurus work, building word banks and exploring an ipad app - Explain Everything - were all part of the learning today.
It is always fun to try new activities and put our learning into practise.
1) Practise multiplication tables (focus on the 3x tables if needed)
2) Take time to practise multiplication by following one of the links below.
3) Bring back notices
4) PE tomorrow
Grouse Grind Friday, September 27 (notices to go home tomorrow)
Parent Night - Wednesday, September 25, 6:00 to 6:30 in the gym. This is for parents only.
I am a grade 7 teacher who has been teaching in the Surrey School District for over 28 years. I love to read, garden, walk, and spend time with family, friends and my golden retriever Kona.
Copy Free Images
You can also use Google, just remember to set up your advanced settings to allow free or commercial use images only
Find Grampy Difficult
Batter's Up Baseball
Division without decimals
Math Antics - Percentages
Finding a Percent
Percent Word Problems
Percent of a Whole Number
Khan Academy - more on Percents
Parts of A Microscope
Wet Mount Microscopy
San Diego Zoo
Gorillas in Rwanda
Classification of Life
CNN for Kids
Time for Kids
Pencil Crayon Shading and Blending
Creativity Requires Time
Moon Shot Thinking
Obvious To You, Amazing To Others
A Pep Talk from Kid President
Follow our class on twitter @middletonsclass