The 100 Word Challenge was started today in Division 1. Each week the students will be creating a very short story, or piece of a story based on an image or a short phrase. The phrase that the students are using this week is "... and then I saw a bright light..." Through participating in this activity students are able to explore creative writing on a weekly basis and publish their work to the global community. Students will receive comments from teachers and students as well as learn to properly respond to others' posts. It was wonderful to see the excitement today and the ease with which students became focused on the task.
To check out the website for this program please click the link 100 Word Challenge.
Learning Intention: I can write a variety of imaginative pieces including short stories using effective word choice.
1) LA - 100 Word Challenge - complete draft 1 and look to improve. Remember to use a different colour pen and ask a parent, sibling or other person to give you feedback.
2) Art - bring in quotes, images and art supplies to begin working on your dream boards tomorrow.
3) PE tomorrow.
4) French title page due on Thursday
Scholastic book orders due on Friday. Return all forms ASAP.
Video Link: Multiplication Tables Song
It was a great start to the week. We took a bit of time to continue getting to know one another this morning. It is always interesting to see what interests everyone has.
Students began to develop their first writing piece today, their I Am poems. By digging deeper and sharing who we are, a stronger bond develops between the class.
Finally, the students learned about terms associated with on line communities: flamers, lurkers and mentors. Each of these terms was defined and discussed. The students then had an opportunity to discover which one they are when dealing with on line 'clashes'.
1) Notices - many notices went home last week. Please return ASAP.
2) Entertainment books can be returned if not sold and money brought in if sold.
3) Math - study those multiplication tables
4) Dream Boards - we did not get to these today but will have a full afternoon tomorrow. If you did not view the video clip from Friday please do so. Get your ideas going as to what inspires you (images and quotes).
5) Response: What do you think about Dwight in A Strange Case of Origami Yoda? Why do you think his finger puppet appears to be so smart yet his peers don't see him that way? We have been discussing the importance of on line communities and the proper ways to communicate on line. So today is your day to start going beyond a simple response. Please read other's responses and add on to their thinking. You might expand on their ideas but you also might disagree with someone's thoughts. It is okay to disagree as long as it is done politely and with evidence to back up your thinking. Take a chance and post more! Be sure to edit first though.
Team building was the focus of our morning. Students were given the task of building a structure with spaghetti that would hold a marshmallow on it. The goal was to create the highest structure. Not only did students learn about which shapes create the strongest structures but more importantly how to work together to share ideas and create a successful final product.
Please check out the student reflections of this activity here.
1) Dream Board - start planning what images, quotes and/or words that inspire you to be the best you can be each day. We will begin developing our Dream Boards on Monday so if you have time this weekend get a head start by searching magazines for images or the internet for images, and famous quotes. Talk to parents about this activity to help with ideas if you need.
Video: Here are some inspirational quotes that may help you get your ideas going for your dream board. What inspires you?
Division 1 continued to explore what it is to be good digital citizens. Day two of "Participation" focused on Blogging and setting up blogging guidelines. As a class we brainstormed ideas and came up with the following:
Blogging Guidelines for Division 1
1) Complete Math worksheet for subtraction
2) Art is due on Friday
3) PE on Friday
4) Write a Response: Of the three items included in the Triple Filter Test which one do you think is most important? Why?
Happy hump day as the camel on the Geico commercial would say! It took a tremendous amount of effort for all the students to maintain focus today in the heat. I have to give each child kudos for doing the best they could. It will continue to be hot the rest of the week so lots and lots of water needs to be consumed.
Digital Citizenship Learning Intentions:
1) LA - Choose one of the two options from the Perspective Taking Sheet and write a paragraph. This can be done in your LA section on lined paper or typed and printed off at home. Please take your time as you are showing that you have met the three Learning Intentions above. Be aware of the basic givens for every piece of writing - spelling, complete sentences, punctuation.
2) Get the pink notice filled out and returned.
3) Art due Friday
4) Watch the video on subtraction to refresh your brain on this concept.
4) Write a Response:
If you were to recommend a book that you feel everyone should read at some time, what book would it be and why? Please be sure to edit before hitting the publish button. This means capitals, periods and spelling!
Respect and digital citizenship were the foci for today's learning. Between recess and lunch there was a school wide assembly which discussed the ROLES at Hillcrest. All of the students are expected to Respect Others Learning Environment and Self each and every day at school.
Over the next month Division One will be looking closely at digital citizenship and the reasons why we all want to leave positive footprints in the digital world. Today we started to talk about Perspective Taking/Point of View which means we all need to be aware of how other's think, feel, their opinions and the perceived consequences.
1) $5 planner money
2) Complete 4 math worksheets: A Jumbo Riddle, A Pirate's Riddle, Card Totals, Number Crunching Time
3) Water, water and more water!
4) Book to read
5) Grade 6 immunization form
Response: There was an incident today in Mr. Hong's room with the taking of someone's property, specifically a cell phone. If this happened to you how would this make you feel? How does this relate to the R.O.L.E.S. at Hillcrest?
If you have not completed the student and parent questionnaire please go to yesterday's post and do so today. Thank you.
Here is the video from the assembly today on Respect. A very important message.
It was so great to have the sun shining today; it has put everyone in a good mood to start the week.
Most of the day was focused on building community in our class - getting to know each other a bit better, practising using the planner, and creating a wonderful learning environment. This will all take time but we have a good start.
Many students did not check the website this weekend nor did they respnd to the question asked. It is very important for each student to check the website daily - this will allow you to take ownership of your learning.
1) $5 for planners
2) Grade 6 immunization forms
Students please respond: What is one thing you learned today about your planner tht you did not already know was in it?
We are in! Division 1 had a great first day getting to know each other and starting to build our community. It was such a pleasure for me to welcome back the familiar faces of my grade 7s and get to know the grade 6s. What a year it is going to be.
1) Bring PE strip for Monday
2) All students must have a pair of inside shoes at school for Monday
3) Bring magazines that you can cut up
4) If you did not bring your supplies they need to be at school for Monday
5) $5 for planners
Respond to the following question by clicking on the comments section that is found at the top of this post. Please remember to use a fictitious name.
What are two things you are looking forward to this year in Division 1?
Welcome back everyone. It was so great to see all the smiling, excited faces this morning. All of the grade 6/7 teachers are looking forward to starting a new year and beginning a new journey with you. So much learning to take place over the next 10 months!
- To understand that learning and doing your best means taking risks and supporting others
1.) Things to Bring for tomorrow:
- Pencil box with some pens, pencils, etc
- Gym Strip
- Inside shoes
- Recess and lunch (food)
- Water bottle
**** DO NOT BRING SCHOOL SUPPLIES UNTIL FRIDAY ****
Picture Book shared today:
If I NeverEver Endeavour by Molly Meade
Find Your Greatness
I am a grade 7 teacher who has been teaching in the Surrey School District for over 28 years. I love to read, garden, walk, and spend time with family, friends and my golden retriever Kona.
Copy Free Images
You can also use Google, just remember to set up your advanced settings to allow free or commercial use images only
Find Grampy Difficult
Batter's Up Baseball
Division without decimals
Math Antics - Percentages
Finding a Percent
Percent Word Problems
Percent of a Whole Number
Khan Academy - more on Percents
Parts of A Microscope
Wet Mount Microscopy
San Diego Zoo
Gorillas in Rwanda
Classification of Life
CNN for Kids
Time for Kids
Pencil Crayon Shading and Blending
Creativity Requires Time
Moon Shot Thinking
Obvious To You, Amazing To Others
A Pep Talk from Kid President
Follow our class on twitter @middletonsclass