Today Divisions 1 and 5 started to discuss the basics behind a great photograph. Interesting subject, different perspective, rule of thirds, busy background, leading and converging lines were the topics covered by Ms Findlay today. Photography is a subject that creates lots of excitement. Start thinking about the types of photos you might want to take to hone your skills.
1) Math grade 6s - pg 211 #3 - 6; grade 7s pg 47 #1, 3, 4
2) LA - post a comment in the visualization section of your group on Onlyivan.weebly.com
3) Complete the following survey for the Surrey School District. https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/Innovative4-7
4) Begin to experiment with your photography skills. You will need to complete one photo, can be more, that you will submit for Monday. Download any photos and put then on Google Presentation on Google Drive. Remember to think Fall and what you think off when Fall comes as this will be the basis for your writing piece. If you do not have access to a device at home for taking pictures please make sure you ask to borrow an ipad on Wednesday.
5) Math test needs to be signed and returned for Wednesday (except for Mr. Hong's group).
Photos taken last year by division 1 students.
We are excited at the possibility of Katherine Applegate skyping with us at Hillcrest. She is the author of The One and Only Ivan. The students worked at creating individual signs that will be used to put a proposal together to have her choose our school. It would be so great to have this opportunity - she is an amazing author.
1) Respond to one or more of the students who responded to your reflection on zoos (Last Thursdays homework page). Please take the time to make insightful comments. Use the following to help you. And remember to edit before you hit the publish button.
H - helpful
I - inspirational
N - necessary
K - kind
If you did not have someone who responded directly to yours, please choose a student who submitted that is not from our class.
2) Math - grade 7s -check Mr. Hong's website; grade 6s - find 5 places, items, where fractions are used in your home. Make a list a bring to share at school tomorrow.
3) Math Test - please have a parent sign and return for Wednesday. Those grade 6s who had Mr. Hong - he has not returned your tests yet.
4) Please complete the following survey that is from the Surrey School district. https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/Innovative4-7
5) PE tomorrow - bring strip.
Another important day for our class. We started by sharing our learning with our little buddies. We created stickies on a wall wisher and then did a wordle about Ivan. All the students worked hard on writing their math tests and ended the day by watching a very powerful video on bullying. The link for the video is below.
1) Complete a published journal entry onto your website. Please follow the step by step process that is in your google docs shared file.
2) Please respond to the post on the Reflections Page.
Photo Day on Monday
Link to our I Am Poems
Link to the Jonah Mawry video shown in class today.
Fall was in the air today. It is such a beautiful time of year, when the leaves begin to turn. Students continued to develop questions and connections around The One and Only Ivan and had a chance today to discuss in small groups some questions they had. In the afternoon we watched actual footage of an event that was included in the novel. I have included the link if you would like to see how a boy was rescued from the domain of gorillas at a zoo. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-CMxMv34_A
1) Math - grade 6 and 7s have their unit test tomorrow. Grade 7s - for review use pages 37 and 38 to study from. (Not for homework, just a recommendation)
2) Science - complete worksheet on classifying items.
3) Respond to question posted on this website, in Sharing our Learning - Reflections section.
Having conversations around The One and Only Ivan.
Today Division One focussed on making connections to things that we read. We talked about three different kinds of connections: text to self, text to text, and text to world. As we read Ivan we thought about our connections and then posted to The One and Only Ivan website.
The link to our I Am Poems has been posted under Sharing our Learning. Please read, enjoy and leave feedback for our students.
1) LA - Journal write - please write for 15 minutes tonight. In this stage it is not about the spelling and punctuation it is about writing and working to improve in this area. The topic is your choice but you may want to write about our family meetings and what came out of them.
2) Math - Both grades have their unit tests on Friday. Grade 7s it is on all the rules we have learned for divisibility.
3) French - title page due Thursday.
4) PE tomorrow - bring strip.
Today we began learning about how scientists classify items. We practised by splitting up into gender, than eye color, than hair color. The groups became distinctive based on common characteristics. We will be learning how classifying is used in the animal kingdom and relating this to our story on Ivan.
1) LA - using the peer feedback that your partner gave to you today, revise your journal that you posted on your website this weekend. Please ensure you have attached your newest revision (once you have done all what was recommended) to your Evernote so that you have 3 copies of your journal - this shows the progression of your learning. Post the "Revised" version on your website, deleting the old one.
2) Science - complete the classification key for the Treble Family.
3) Math - grade 7s - complete the Mid Chapter review, all questions pg 21
With the sun shining once again, lots of smiles and happy faces came into the room today. It was a lighter day for all of us as we started with buddies and learned some new card games. We continued to read The One and Only Ivan and developed some very strong deep thinking questions. Click on the Wallwisher link to see the questions posted today. In the afternoon we had time to work on our collages and take our kites out for another flying session. It was so wonderful to look out the window after school at 3:45 and see the big field filled with people flying their kites!
1) Publishing your journal entry - using the google doc I shared with you today follow the step by step guide as to how you are to edit, revise and then publish a journal entry onto your website. Remember that the document can be found in google drive under Share with Me.
2) Collage is due for Tuesday - all spaces are to be covered.
3) French title page due on Thursday.
4) PE strip for Tuesday.
What a gorgeous afternoon it turned out to be to take our kites outside for their first test run. I was very impressed with how well division 1 helped their little buddies (and sometimes it was the reverse) to get their kites built and ready to go. By the time the 2:37 bell went, the kids were still wanting to stay out on the field to keep the kites up in the air.
1) LA - Journal writing - spend 15 minutes , or more if you want, and complete a journal entry. You may want to write on the kite flying experience or on something of your own choice.
2) Wallwisher - still missing 7 questions on the wallwisher site. One student has anonymous so I can not mark it as being done. Please ensure you post a deep thinking question around the book The One and Only Ivan.
2) Band tomorrow.
3) Spend some time on your websites upgrading, adding details, being creative. Remember to check out other class websites to see how to improve.
4) Check out the onlyivan website to see what conversations are happening. Can you add to them and develop other's thinking?
The students tried something new today to show their learning. We are discovering the difference between quick and deep thinking questions. During our Global Read Aloud session today the students listened to The One and Only Ivan and wrote their deep thinking questions on a sticky note. At the end of the reading students chose one of their questions to post on the Wallwisher wall. It is a digital sticky pad. This is a great way to share ideas visually; all students are able to learn from others. Please see the link below to read what some of the questions were today around our GRA novel.
1) Complete your one sticky on a deep thinking question from today's reading on The One and Only Ivan. Wallwisher
2) Math - Grade 7s complete pg. 18 #6,7 and worksheet; grade 6s please see your assigned teacher's website page.
3) Work on your website if you have time. Add interests and passions. Check out your peers sights at http://hillcrestdiv4.weebly.com/2012---2013.html
It was day 2 of reading The One and Only Ivan. It is a story of a gorilla who has been living in a mall zoo for 27 years. The story is told in first person from Ivan therefore presenting many great points of discussion for the class. For more information on the Global Read Aloud, as well as the novel, please go to the tab 'Showing our Learning'.
It is kite day on Thursday for our class. Today the students started to plan their design as tomorrow it will be colouring day. All this is done in preparation for the building and flying on Thursday. I hope the weather is good and windy!
1) LA - complete an introduction of yourself that is to be published on the ivanonly weebly site. Make sure you put your introduction in the proper grouping. This should be done on a word doc first to ensure your writing is free of spelling and punctuation mistakes. Hint: If you read your writing out loud to yourself you will hear your mistakes and be able to fix them before hitting the publish button
2) LA - respond to one other member of your group and their prediction on th. Remember 'good job' nice work does not give feedback. As Ivan said "too often humans waste words". Don't waste your words - be meaningful with what you say.
3) Math - one group of grade 6s has a quiz in math. Grade 7s - complete #2 - 5 on pg. 18
4) French - title page is due on Monday.
I am a grade 7 teacher who has been teaching in the Surrey School District for over 28 years. I love to read, garden, walk, and spend time with family, friends and my golden retriever Kona.
Copy Free Images
You can also use Google, just remember to set up your advanced settings to allow free or commercial use images only
Find Grampy Difficult
Batter's Up Baseball
Division without decimals
Math Antics - Percentages
Finding a Percent
Percent Word Problems
Percent of a Whole Number
Khan Academy - more on Percents
Parts of A Microscope
Wet Mount Microscopy
San Diego Zoo
Gorillas in Rwanda
Classification of Life
CNN for Kids
Time for Kids
Pencil Crayon Shading and Blending
Creativity Requires Time
Moon Shot Thinking
Obvious To You, Amazing To Others
A Pep Talk from Kid President
Follow our class on twitter @middletonsclass