Quite the morning for Hillcrest staff and students. We were all thoroughly entertained by Flying Bob,a circus type entertainer. Between juggling acts, unicycles and high wire stunts, the audience laughed and cheered for this wonderful performance.
We are looking forward to the Terry Fox run tomorrow. As the weather could be wet I recommend everyone brings a change of clothes to change into after. There is a notice that went home today regarding this event.
1) Math - graded 7s - review the divisibilty rules
- grade 6s - mid chapter review
2) French - quiz on Wednesday
3) Animoto - Due Wednesday. Be sure to use your criteria sheet as you move through this assignment. Share your animoto with parents along with the criteria sheet so that they might give you some helpful suggestions.
Terry Fox run tomorrow
PAC fundraisers - cookies, pies, etc
Comment: In OFTM Carley played Superheros with Michael Eric and Adam. What was your favourite game to play when you were younger?Explain why you loved it.
Lots of new learning opportunities today. Division 1 started the day with a Mystery Skype to Quakertown, Pennsylvania. Finding a small town proved to be much trickier than finding a big city. Students have discovered that using different resources will be important when narrowing down some of the locations. Also, new terms such as 'county' arose today; great for learning more about geography.
In the afternoon after French, we read two chapters from One for the Murphys. Just prior to that the students were introduced to a 'slow chat' on twitter and middletons class completed their first official two tweets. After the chapters were read, students were given a chance to discuss the characters at a deeper level. The photo on the right has Cookie Monster explaining the difference on the scale of truth versus lies to Cat. I loved listening to their conversations!
1) Math - grade 7s - nothing tonight
- grade 6s - worksheet
2) French - quiz next Wednesday
3) Work on Animoto- please use the green outline/criteria to direct the framework of this assignment
4) Complete the comment on the website. This one will take more thought, time and care to complete. Use writer's mumble before you submit. I would suggest you actually type up the work on a word document first as this will help with spelling and grammar mistakes.
Comment: We are coming to understand that Carley is not your average girl. She has many traits to her personlity. What have you noticed about her personality? What type of person is she? Use evidence from the story to support your thinking. Mrs. Murphy is also a very important character in the story. If you were Mrs. Murphy, how would you react to Carley and her behaviours? Why do you think that Mrs. Murphy is showing so much patience?
The day was started with a trip to the skating rink. All the kids seemed to have a great time either playing with their little buddies, playing soccer on the ice or skating with friends.
in Math the students are continuing to develop number sense skills. The grade 7s had a quiz today and will take some time to reflect on areas that require further learning.
The afternoon ended with the students completing a quick write on the topic of heroes. This is the baseline we will use to assess growth over the year.
1) Math - grade 7s - complete reflection of quiz
- have parents sign the quiz and reflection sheet
- grade 6s - pg 84 #1 - 7, don't do 5
2) French - worksheet due tomorrow
- quiz next Wednesday
3) Work on Animoto if time
4) Check the GRA site to see if your partner class has responded to Day 5 prompt. Add your thoughts to theirs to continue the conversation.
Comments: I will leave the comment open to you today. Maybe think about one thing you learned today and share it. Maybe it was in a conversation you had, maybe it was through hearing the story from the Heroes book, maybe it was something in Math or French.
The kids ended a very productive week on a good note today. We had good discussions around novels we are reading and many of us were able to add to our 'shopping list' for future reads. This afternoon we continued to read One For the Murphys. A very intense section in Chapter 7 left the students begging for more. You know you have a good story when the students do not want it to stop.
For relationship building which is at the core of building a strong sense of community, we had time for our grade 2/3 buddies and then ended the day with 30 minutes of board game time. The fun and laughter caused me to smile; it was great to watch the interactions of this class.
1) Math - grade 7s - study for quiz on Tuesday
- grade 6s - no homework
2) LA - respond to Day 5s post on the Global Read Aloud site. Remember to expand and explain your thinking and share your questions and wonderings to promote further conversation.
3) Work on your Animoto
4) Terry Fox shoe - dedication and colored with care - due Tuesday
Important - Ice Skating on Tuesday morning, first thing. Please arrive for 8:30.
Happy Thanksgiving everyone.
Comment: I have talked to you on a number of occasions about the importance of building a sense of community in the classroom. I have shared with you some things we have done in the past such as the students designing the room set up , giving the class a name (an identity) and having time to do things such as play board games. What do you think we could do to help build the relationships amongst each other? Are there things you have done in past classes that has made a difference?
I just needed to share these photos taken by one of your students at Grouse Mountain last Friday after doing the grind. Happy Face did an amazing job; a natural photographer!
A much more settled day today for all the students. Reading, writing, creating, sharing our learning both on paper and digitally - love to see this kind of learning in action.
Students were introduced to two new digital platforms (well, one for the returning grade 7s). Animoto is a creative slide show/movie making program. The students will be using this to demonstrate how they can represent themselves through images.
Kidblog is a blogging forum that we will be using for our 100 Word Challenges. Most students will get their first creative piece of writing published to a global audience by Saturday!
Animoto.com sign in with email@example.com. Fill in with the number I assigned to you today.
1) Math - grade 7s - study for quiz on Tuesday (divisibility rules for 2,3,5,6,9,10)
- grade 6s - ?
2) LA - type up 100 WC on the kidblog site. be ready for peer feedback tomorrow.
4) Bring USB with photos on it for tomorrow.
5) Ice skating notices - Skating is on Tuesday
6) Board Game afternoon/community building - bring in a favorite board game to share and play.
Comment: We have already started to interpret things about Carley and her background from what we have read in the story. The auhtor has given us many hints so that the reader can infer (educated guess) who Carley is as a person. Share two questions you have, wonderings about the story. These could be about Carley, they could be about the other boys or Mrs. Murphy or about the story line. Be sure to clearly explain your thinking and use WRITERS MUMBLE!
It was easy to tell that it was a full moon last night. It always amazes me how the pull of the moon's gravity can effect the energy level in the class. At the end of the day we had our first family meeting to discuss options for self-regulating behaviours in the future. Many great suggestions were shared.
Division 1 completed our second Mystery Skype today. Even though the other class figured out Vancouver before we discovered their location, the kids continued to narrow in and eventually determine school was in Cincinnati, Ohio. Developing geography knowledge will play an important role in the successes of our future Mystery Skype sessions.
1) Math - grade 7s - complete pg 14, #1- 8; study for quiz that will occur on Tuesday
- grade 6s - nothing (review is always a good option)
2) Socials - review longitude and latitude. Look on the internet tonight to see what line of latitude Vancouver is on.
3) LA - check the global read aloud website (see link on right hand side of this page under Language Arts). See if you can carry on the conversation that has now begun with Mrs. Lott's grade 6s.
4) Bring USB with photos on it for tomorrow.
5) Ice skating notices
6) PE tomorrow
Important reminder about Meet the Teacher: The PAC BBQ is from 4 - 7. The open classroom for grades 6/7 (a time for students to come in with parents to show them the class) is from 5 - 5:30. The parent meeting with the grade 6/7 teacher is from 5:30 to 6:00 in the intermediate open area.
Comment: What is one country that can be found on either equator or prime meridian. It must be a different answer than your peers so read carefully. Please state your answer in a complete sentence rather than one word. Also, comment on how we can make our next skype time even better.
The colors on the leaf tells me its fall but the warmth and sun are feeling pretty summerish. No complaining here - loving this October Vancouver weather.
We took some time to get a few organizational details out of the way today. With the start of the year feeling rushed there were items such as organizing binders and duotangs that had not occured. I am sure the students feel much more settled with this piece now done.
We have another Mystery Skype booked for tomorrow morning - Division 1 will be continuing to expand on their global connections.
1) Math - grade 7s - nothing assigned, review of concepts and multiplication tables would be beneficial
- grade 6s - worksheet
2) Global Read Aloud response - revise if you wish to improve on what you have done so far. We will blog these tomorrow.
3) Ice Skating notice
4) Photos for Thursday - USB preferred
5) Questionnaires - please see Monday's post for link to student and parent questionnaires
***6) Notices to be returned: Please check below for your initials. According to my records these notices and form have not been returned. Please do so ASAP. If you have returned one that I have listed please see me in the morning and I apologize for the error.
Grade 6s - ELB - Green class parent/list form
- BD - SFU letters, Gr 6 immunization,multi notice (walk about neighbourhoodm media...,
- NG - Gr 6 immunization
- AH - planner money, office information form
- IH - Gr 6 immunization
- BJ - class parent/list (green)
- TK - class parent/list (green)
Grade 7s - HB - class parent/list (green)
- KH - office information form
- TM - office information form, class parent/list (green)
- LW - office information form, class parent/list (green)
Comment: Which is your favorite season of the year? Write a minimum of three sentences that includes details and explanations as to why. Use WRITERS MUMBLE before publishing!
Today was the kick off for the Global Read Aloud. This project unites students from around the world through sharing of novels. This year nearly 300,00 students from 60 different countries are reading one of four titles. Division one along with divisions 2 through 5 are all reading One for the Murphys. Our class will be connecting and blogging with the class we met last week through Mystery Skype from Austin, Texas. This is a great opportunity for students to experience learning well outside the regular classroom walls. If you would like to follow our blog please click the Global Read Aloud link. We will begin blogging in the next day or two and continue until the first week in November.
1) Math - complete what was assigned today
2) Photos - please gather photos for a project we will be starting on Wednesday. See Fridays post for further details. You need to bring in the USB on Wednesday rather than Tuesday.
***3) Post a comment - this was not done well over the weekend. Many of you are struggling to get into the routine of checking and commenting every day (the weekend is just once over the 2 days). Make sure you are falling through with this as it is an expectation in our class.
4) Questionnaires - please complete the following and ask your parents to do the parent questionnaire.
5) Scholastic Book orders due Tuesday
Comment: Make a prediction of what you think happened to Carly that she has been put into a foster home. Use details from the first chapter as evidence for your thinking. Be sure to edit before hitting the publish button.
Super proud of the students who completed today's Grouse Grind. Everyone was in good spirits when they started out and for the most part these smiles were there at the top as well. It does not matter how long it took each child, the fact that they made it to the top was a huge accomplishment. And the weather could not have been better! A great way to end our first full week of the year.
1) Math - Grade 7s - pg 10
- Grade 6s
2) Collecting photographs - this weekend start finding images/photos of you, your family, those things that are important to you, your interests, your friends, things you have done, places you have gone - these are all options. Next week you will be creating a digital story of things that are important to you. We will be using Animoto for those who have used this program in the past. Have a good variety to choose from that will highlight who you are, what makes you you. These photos will need to be saved on a USB so gather digital photos from home and copy them to the USB. If some of your photos are photographs then you will need to take pictures of them or bring then to school so we can take pictures of them and put on to your USB. We will start working with this on Tuesday.
3) Bring any remaining notices back to school.
4) Book order due on Tuesday
5) Band is on Monday
Sorry for the late update but the internet has been extremely slow.
It was such an amazing morning with our first Mystery Skype completed. I was impressed with all the students as they were focused and worked really well as a team. The atlas pages were flying and questions asked to determine the location of the other classroom. A big thank you to Deer Park's grade 6 class in Austin, Texas who worked hard to determine our location and who were polite and as excited as we were. We have now pinned our first Mystery Skype connection!
1) Math - Grade 7s Pg. 10 due Monday
- Grade 6s -
2) Notices - still notices to come in. Please see Wednesday's post for a list of the notices
3) ***Grouse Grind tomorrow - Arrive at the usual time. Wear clothing appropriate for the weather. Remember to carry a light pack which should hold snacks, water (lots) and a bag lunch.
4) Planner Money
5) Book orders due on Monday
PE is every Tuesday and Thursday. Starting next week you must have a change of clothes to participate in PE.
Comment: What were your favorite parts of the Mystery Skype? (More than one please). Remember to edit your writing before hitting the publish button. Capitals at the beginning of your sentences and periods at the end!
I am a grade 7 teacher who has been teaching in the Surrey School District for over 28 years. I love to read, garden, walk, and spend time with family, friends and my golden retriever Kona.
Copy Free Images
You can also use Google, just remember to set up your advanced settings to allow free or commercial use images only
Find Grampy Difficult
Batter's Up Baseball
Division without decimals
Math Antics - Percentages
Finding a Percent
Percent Word Problems
Percent of a Whole Number
Khan Academy - more on Percents
Parts of A Microscope
Wet Mount Microscopy
San Diego Zoo
Gorillas in Rwanda
Classification of Life
CNN for Kids
Time for Kids
Pencil Crayon Shading and Blending
Creativity Requires Time
Moon Shot Thinking
Obvious To You, Amazing To Others
A Pep Talk from Kid President
Follow our class on twitter @middletonsclass