Happy Holidays! We finished the week off with a bang. The morning was spent cutting, gluing and creating the cutest elves while after recess the brains were challenged as big and little buddies learned how to do origami boxes. The afternoon held lots of laughs as we played Secret Santa and enjoyed all the food that was contributed for a small party. Whew, what a busy day.
1) Clean and organized your binders. All the pages should be in the right subject areas and there should be no loose sheets at the front of the binders.
2) Complete at least one journal entry some time over the holidays. Take time to give detail and create interest through description. Make it really good -actually make it outstanding!
3) Read, read, read. We will be working with a novel you have completed when we come back from the holidays so you need to make sure you work through at least one.
4) Refill school supplies. Many of you need a refill of pencils, pens, glue sticks and scissors. 5) If you wish to complete your origami boxes here is the website: http://www.activityvillage.co.uk/pdfs/origami_gift_box_instructions.pdf
I would like to wish you all the very best this holiday season. Have fun, relax, enjoy your family time, and remember to laugh often.
Another busy day. From start to the finish it was go, go go. Lots of time spent catching up on items that needed to be completed prior to the holidays, and we accomplished a fair amount. Hopefully all will get done tomorrow.
For those who wish to bring something to eat to share tomorrow we will take some time before lunch to have a small social to celebrate the season. Goodies of all kinds are welcome but parents please do not stress over this as it will be a small party.
1) Bring the $5 gift for the Secret Santa tomorrow.
2) Pajama Day tomorrow - get comfy!
3) Bring in snacks if you wish to contribute to a small party
4) Return library books and report card covers
Snow, snow and more snow. What a beautiful day outside (until the rain hit at noon). With the excitement of the final day of the play, and the snow falling outside, I was amazed and thrilled that the students were able to focus and accomplish some work today. We even had a chance to share a project that we have been working on for a couple of weeks - amazing talent in this class. Only two days left before a much anticipated and needed break!
1) Report card covers need to be returned
2) Math - grade 7s worksheet questions #3,5,9; grade 6s study for quiz tomorrow.
3) Bring in $5 gift for those participating in the Secret Santa gift exchange on Friday
4) Library books need to be returned tomorrow.
One of the students in Division 1 has created an animoto which reflects how much she is enjoying learning. She arrived last January from the Phillipines and is loving her new home. We wanted to share her animoto with you so you can share our journey of learning in the COOL zone!
The play, "A Christmas Carol" is here. There were many very excited performers today at school who could not wait for the afternoon to arrive. Ms Wilson and Ms FIndlay spent time this morning practising with both groups of dancers to ensure the dances were ready to go. This was so very much appreciated. Just before lunch a group of parents arrived to work on the make up for the performers. What an outstanding job they all did and their efforts were very much appreciated as well. Some very ghoulish zombies were found walking the halls at lunch.
1) LA - 12 Days of Christmas alliteration poem needs to be completed. A printed copy needs to be at school for Wednesday and an uploaded copy must be on your websites. Make sure you upload a PDF file rather than a docx. Please see the image below that shows the screen with you 'save as'. This will help you to find the PDF setting. It is important to do this so that no one can change your work. Please include the learning intention on your upload as well.
To add to your website, create a new post and go to the multimedia section. Drop down the icon that says file. Double click which will take you to the upload section. Upload your file to your site. Add your learning intention: I can use the poetic device of alliteration to make meaning in my writing.
2) Bring $5 gift for Friday if participating in the gift exchange. Remember to pick a unisex gift, meaning that this is suitable for a boy or a girl.
3) Return report card covers
4) Return library books
How to upload a PDF
Division 1 is very excited as we are continuing to flatten our classroom walls. We have partnered up with a group of grade 7s from Sibiu, Romania. As we progress through the year we will have a chance to get to know our new friends, learn about their world, their interests, their lives.We also hope to learn together, sharing our thinking, our learning around a specific topic or two. What a great experience for us all as it gives us a better understanding that learning does not just take place inside the classroom walls. Each student of Division 1 has added a new section to their websites as this will be where some of our communication takes place. Parents, please check out your child's welcome letter and check back often to see where our new connections take us.
1) Weebly - complete the start up of our International Classmates section. Everyone needs a page called 'International Classmates', a blog page called Romania that drops down from the Int. Classmates page and a new post to welcome the students from Sibiu.
2) Secret Santa gift - $5 gift to be brought to school on Friday.
3) Tuesday performers - bring costumes to school
4) Return report card covers
5) Return all library books
I hope everyone has purchased their tickets and are ready to enjoy "A Christmas Carol".
This was a very busy week with a lot of upheaval as students practised for the play, worked on being stage crew, or helped with the designing of the backdrops. It has been appreciated all the students who have put in the extra effort to help out and to those who stayed as focused as they could even through all the activities.
Monday will be dress rehearsal day. It is very important that all students who are in the play remember to bring their costumes on Monday. The way we practise is a strong indication of what will occur on the actual day of the performance so everyone needs to be prepared.
1) Journal #13 - Topic is around Christmas. What is something that your family does that is special to you, or a tradition your family has on Christmas? Share what it is and why it is important. Ms. Bohnert shared my Christmas dinner tradition as an example for you. For some students you can share a tradition on some other celebration your family does. Due Sunday night.
2) Bring Christmas Carol costumes for Monday.
3) Think about which poetic device you will want to use for the poem you will be creating next week.
4) There may be other items that I am unaware of so please follow your planner closely.
I am now feeling on the mend after a very long week with this cold. I am looking forward to seeing all of you on Monday. Have a wonderful weekend.
Thanks to the help of Tweety Bird I am now able to update the website even in my absence. I have heard from a variety of sources that the class has been busy practising for the play this week along with the other classes in the school. The next few days will be occupied with full rehearsals, and dance practises - count down is on. Students have been working on understanding and using poetic devices this week. Soon they will be introduced to different formats for writing poetry and will be able to practise their inner poet!
1) Poetry worksheet from yesterday
2) Bring a sharpie for art
3)Math - grade 7s - do corrections from the quiz; grade 6s please check your teacher's website for homework
4) French - Christmas tree due Thursday
5) Animoto due Friday
6) Send favorite photo to Mrs. Middleton's gmail as soon as possible.
Sorry that the update did not occur yesterday, not only are the days busy during school, they are crazy busy after hours as well.
Yesterday the students visited the Young Entrepreneur Show that was held by the grade 5 students in our school. The wares that were sold were unique, creative and great gift ideas. I needed a basket to hold all the items I bought. This program is excellent for teaching skills around operating a business; this is what authentic learning is about.
Today the grade 6/7 classes headed out for a celebration of learning. It has been a very busy term 1 where students needed to become owners of their learning and their behaviours. It is important to celebrate success and that is what the day was about. Ther students had a wonderful time driving go carts, playing mini golf and building the ever important friendships.
1) Animoto- collect images on a USB for Monday. Collect more than you think you will need.
2) Math - grade 7s have a quiz on Monday - study addition, subtraction and multiplication of decimal numbers. Grade 6s please check your teachers' websites.
3) Journal #12 due Sunday (I would recommend you do this on Friday after Castle Fun Park)
4) Reflection on the imovie project. I have shared a google doc with you titled "Reflection of iMovie/Digital Storytelling". You will need to copy from the shared doc to a new word doc and then fill this in. Please complete this reflection focusing on thoughtful answers not quick answers. Once done please share this with me and then upload it to your Evernote "Photography' Note.
In the comments section to this post please share what the best part of today was for you.
Early Dismissal: Wednesday, Dec. 12 and Thursday, Dec. 13. I had this incorrect on an earlier post - sorry for any confusion it created.
The class is starting to look like a winter wonderland - painted windows, snowflakes, snowmen - I love this time of year.
Today was a day where flexibility was needed - and patience. The grade 6/7 classes spent time practising their dance moves for the play and completed the Social Studies presentations. Tomorrow will be the iMovies - can't wait to see these.
1) iMovie - presentation Thursday
2) Math Grade 7s - nothing, grade 6s please check with your teacher
3) Young Entrepreneur Show - all items between $0.50 and $5.00. Thursday
4) Last day to bring in Christmas Hamper Items and toonies!!
5) Journal #12 due on Sunday
Castle Fun Park on Friday!
Christmas Play - ticket orders have been sent home. Please purchase as soon as possible Most of Division 1 will be performing on Wednesday, Dec. 19. Please check with your child as they now know when they are performing.
Today a number of students presented their current events article based on an issue. I was impressed with the confidence each displayed as they stood in front of the class and shared their knowledge. The topics ranged from Drinking and Driving laws, to animal cruelty laws to the fighting in the Gaza strip. I was also very impressed with how many students asked questions of the presenters and the kinds of questions that were posed. Lots of thinking happening in the classroom.
1) Blog Comments - each of you has been assigned two students to comment on. Please go to their latest journal entry, or one that was completed fairly recently and comment. Remember to start with a positive comment, make a connection and ask a question. Also, edit before you hit publish.
2) iMovie will be shared tomorrow. Please come in early if you need to do any final touch ups. We will share these right after lunch, prior to the Socials presentations.
3) Socials - if you did not present today you will be presenting tomorrow. Be prepared as those who presented today were. know your information.
4) Math Grade 7s complete worksheet 3.4; grade 6s - check with your teacher on their site.
5) Animoto - start collecting!
Castle Fun Park - Friday
Report Cards - Friday
Early Dismissal for Parent/Teacher interviews- Tuesday, Dec. 11 and Wednesday, Dec. 12
"A Christmas Carol" play - get your tickets - Tuesday, Dec. 18 or Wednesday, Dec. 19
Division 1 is scheduled to perform on Wednesday, Dec. 19. Please notify me if your child needs to perform on the Tuesday night due to siblings schedule.
I am a grade 7 teacher who has been teaching in the Surrey School District for over 28 years. I love to read, garden, walk, and spend time with family, friends and my golden retriever Kona.
Copy Free Images
You can also use Google, just remember to set up your advanced settings to allow free or commercial use images only
Find Grampy Difficult
Batter's Up Baseball
Division without decimals
Math Antics - Percentages
Finding a Percent
Percent Word Problems
Percent of a Whole Number
Khan Academy - more on Percents
Parts of A Microscope
Wet Mount Microscopy
San Diego Zoo
Gorillas in Rwanda
Classification of Life
CNN for Kids
Time for Kids
Pencil Crayon Shading and Blending
Creativity Requires Time
Moon Shot Thinking
Obvious To You, Amazing To Others
A Pep Talk from Kid President
Follow our class on twitter @middletonsclass