It has been a great week with the introduction of new units and the completion of others. Students have begun to develop skills for building strong arguments in their writing as we focus on persuasive writing and have spent time wondering and marvelling as the world of Ancient Mesopotamia begins to unfold each day.
After a number of weeks learning how to use vanishing point in perspective art, students completed their second piece today. At the end of the day I spent time comparing each child's first attempt to their second and was beyond thrilled to see the improvement. The process for this assignment included having clear goals and criteria, taking time to self assess based on the criteria, using feedback from peers and myself, then making changes to improve. Each child showed improvement in their art. When we take time to learn from first attempts, we all can improve.
1) Math - Math Link for Order of Operation Game: Exploring Order of Operation - Use It. All students both grade 6 and 7 are encouraged to play this game. It will help the grade 7s with a concept they ahve just learned and give the grade 6s some introduction before learning it this coming week.
Grade 7s - study for your test on Thursday, complete worksheet 3.8
Grade 6s - no homework
2) Art - Complete reflection for perspective art (it is on google drive). Share with me by Sunday night.
3) Goal Setting Term 3 - complete draft of your two personal academic goals for the third term. Remember to include steps to achieve your goal.
Comment: Now that your art has been completed and you have had a chance to reflect on it, share what you are most proud of with this assignment. Also, what artistic cwould you like to learn how to do next?
Research has shown that one of the ways students take ownership of their learning is through reflection. By looking at what we have done well (it is important to start there) then making a plan as to where to go students feel they are in control and will strive to reach higher goals. Today students looked at the past 4c weeks of 100 Word Challenge writes. Parents, take some time to have your child share their reflection document on google drive and have them explain their stars and wishes.
We have so much to be thankful for in our every day lives. This weekend is dedicated to this and I hope everyone spends a bit of time recognizing how lucky we each are. Happy Thanksgiving everyone.
1) LA - comment thoughtfully on students' kidblogs - one from Mrs. Van's class, one from Mrs. Farrell's class and one from our own. Please also comment on 2 from somewhere around the world. On our kidblog site under blog roll (right side of page) you will see links to Divisions 3 and 5.
2) Math - see Thursday
3) Watch the video below and post a comment. This is a very powerful video for so many reasons. Sometimes adults question the kindness of humanity but this video shows that there is still much good in the world. What is one thing we can all learn from this clip? Explain your thinking so it is beyond just a quick one sentence. WHat did you feel as you watched it? What connections or thoughts did you have? Remember your basics -capitals and periods please.
4) Work on your websites
5) Read, read and read
6) Spend time with family. Get outside. Be active for a minimum of 60 minutes a day.
Some students are struggling with choosing a really good book to read. If you have a great book at home please bring it to school on Tuesday. We will begin to share what we are reading and set a goal for sustained independent reading time. A good book that we understand makes all the difference in the world.
Video Link: "Yes I Can"
I am a grade 7 teacher who has been teaching in the Surrey School District for over 28 years. I love to read, garden, walk, and spend time with family, friends and my golden retriever Kona.
Copy Free Images
You can also use Google, just remember to set up your advanced settings to allow free or commercial use images only
Find Grampy Difficult
Batter's Up Baseball
Division without decimals
Math Antics - Percentages
Finding a Percent
Percent Word Problems
Percent of a Whole Number
Khan Academy - more on Percents
Parts of A Microscope
Wet Mount Microscopy
San Diego Zoo
Gorillas in Rwanda
Classification of Life
CNN for Kids
Time for Kids
Pencil Crayon Shading and Blending
Creativity Requires Time
Moon Shot Thinking
Obvious To You, Amazing To Others
A Pep Talk from Kid President
Follow our class on twitter @middletonsclass