It was a great start to the week. We took a bit of time to continue getting to know one another this morning. It is always interesting to see what interests everyone has.
Students began to develop their first writing piece today, their I Am poems. By digging deeper and sharing who we are, a stronger bond develops between the class.
Finally, the students learned about terms associated with on line communities: flamers, lurkers and mentors. Each of these terms was defined and discussed. The students then had an opportunity to discover which one they are when dealing with on line 'clashes'.
1) Notices - many notices went home last week. Please return ASAP.
2) Entertainment books can be returned if not sold and money brought in if sold.
3) Math - study those multiplication tables
4) Dream Boards - we did not get to these today but will have a full afternoon tomorrow. If you did not view the video clip from Friday please do so. Get your ideas going as to what inspires you (images and quotes).
5) Response: What do you think about Dwight in A Strange Case of Origami Yoda? Why do you think his finger puppet appears to be so smart yet his peers don't see him that way? We have been discussing the importance of on line communities and the proper ways to communicate on line. So today is your day to start going beyond a simple response. Please read other's responses and add on to their thinking. You might expand on their ideas but you also might disagree with someone's thoughts. It is okay to disagree as long as it is done politely and with evidence to back up your thinking. Take a chance and post more! Be sure to edit first though.
I am a grade 7 teacher who has been teaching in the Surrey School District for over 28 years. I love to read, garden, walk, and spend time with family, friends and my golden retriever Kona.
Copy Free Images
You can also use Google, just remember to set up your advanced settings to allow free or commercial use images only
Find Grampy Difficult
Batter's Up Baseball
Division without decimals
Math Antics - Percentages
Finding a Percent
Percent Word Problems
Percent of a Whole Number
Khan Academy - more on Percents
Parts of A Microscope
Wet Mount Microscopy
San Diego Zoo
Gorillas in Rwanda
Classification of Life
CNN for Kids
Time for Kids
Pencil Crayon Shading and Blending
Creativity Requires Time
Moon Shot Thinking
Obvious To You, Amazing To Others
A Pep Talk from Kid President
Follow our class on twitter @middletonsclass