Fall, what a great time of year to write about. Today in class we received peer feedback on our ability to use description in our writing. This feedback heped direct our next steps for improvement. We shared how analogies, personification, metaphors and similes can help writers paint the portrait in the readers' mind. Ask that your child share their Evernote and their fall writing sampling. Each child has set a next steps which they are to follow in their revision tonight.
1) LA - show revision according to next steps on your fall write. Ensure this is done in a new color of pen so that your learning is evident. - due Wednesday
Personification - using human characteristics to describe an object. For example - "The sun was smiling down on the crowd"
Analogy - comparing two different things. For example, "The snow falling reminds me of a butterfly in summer." An analogy may be a simile as it may use like or as.
Simile - using as or like to compare two things. "The snow fluttered down as softly as a butterfly moving through the air." "I was wrapped up like a parcel bundled in Santa's sleigh.
2) Journal - write for 15 minutes on either Super Storm Sandy and our preparedness for these kinds of natural disasters, or write on a topic of your choice. Bring to school for Wednesday.
3) Math - grade 6s - pg 224/225 #3-6, 9, 10; Grade 7s worksheet 2.3
4) Science - project is due on Friday. Use your criteria to check off what you have done and what still needs to be worked on. The website Ms Chapman shared with us today is Citation Machine.
5) Website updates - your fixes from your peer feedback has been pushed back to Friday - too many things this week to add this to the load.
5) Clay workshop notices - we are in need of drivers if anyone is able to take us on this day.
6) Grad wear orders are due this Friday.
I am a grade 7 teacher who has been teaching in the Surrey School District for over 28 years. I love to read, garden, walk, and spend time with family, friends and my golden retriever Kona.
Copy Free Images
You can also use Google, just remember to set up your advanced settings to allow free or commercial use images only
Find Grampy Difficult
Batter's Up Baseball
Division without decimals
Math Antics - Percentages
Finding a Percent
Percent Word Problems
Percent of a Whole Number
Khan Academy - more on Percents
Parts of A Microscope
Wet Mount Microscopy
San Diego Zoo
Gorillas in Rwanda
Classification of Life
CNN for Kids
Time for Kids
Pencil Crayon Shading and Blending
Creativity Requires Time
Moon Shot Thinking
Obvious To You, Amazing To Others
A Pep Talk from Kid President
Follow our class on twitter @middletonsclass